Vanilla Ice Cream
- 25 minutes preparation time
- 4 servings
Despite the endless variations of ice cream flavours available, in terms of popularity, the humble vanilla ice cream takes the first place (at least in most ice cream-loving countries). For this homemade custard-based vanilla ice cream recipe, you need only five simple ingredients and a dash of finesse. That’s right! There’s no need for an ice cream maker – a cream charger does the job just as well.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup castor sugar
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tbsp high-quality vanilla extract)
- A pinch of salt
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Begin by preparing the custard. Whisk the egg yolks with the egg whites in a large mixing bowl, then add the castor sugar and a pinch of salt. Continue beating the ingredients until the sugar has partially dissolved and the mixture is glossy.
- In a separate bowl, briefly whisk the heavy cream with the icing sugar, strain the mixture into a siphon, connect your Smartwhip and charge it to 10 bar. Disconnect your Smartwhip and shake the siphon for 10-15 seconds to evenly distribute the gas, then set it aside.
- Using a sharp knife, split the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the seeds.
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan, add the split vanilla bean and seeds, and bring the mixture to a light boil. Simmer the mixture over medium-low heat for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour a few teaspoons of the heated milk over the egg mixture to raise the temperature slowly, stirring continuously to keep the eggs from curdling.
- Once the milk has raised the temperature of the eggs sufficiently, pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and briskly whisk the ingredients together.
- Briefly heat the contents over low heat, stirring continuously until the mixture becomes thick and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and strain the ingredients into a container. Chill the container in the fridge for an hour.
- Once the indicated time has passed, carefully fold the whipped cream into the custard. Place the container back in the fridge for approximately 3 hours, stirring once every hour, then allow the vanilla ice cream to fully set in the freezer for 3 more hours.
Serve the ice cream by itself or with a slice of warm apple pie. For something more exotic than vanilla ice cream, simply substitute the vanilla with another ingredient such as fruit puree, a shot of espresso or some fresh pistachio nuts following the same technique.
Smartwhip products are made to the highest of European standards with the German precision engineered lightweight aluminium and 100% food grade Italian Nitrous Oxide(N2O).